Thursday, May 12, 2011

Sorta Clean Diet

Well, despite the fact my May race had some flaws, I am still pretty damn proud for having gotten out there. So I'd like to thank my friend Eileen for getting us out on the course with her pre-30 bucket list. While I won't be joining her on the road to the marathon, I think I may have managed to convince her to join me in some future half marathon races and we've both realized that training is nothing without a diet to compliment it and post race we both had our share of twizzlers, pizza, snacks and beer.

While we haven't decided to go buck wild and do a complete cleanse we decided to "freshen" up our diets. I've always thought of dieting as an 80/20 rule. Eat well 80% of the time and expect to screw up 20% of the time. The first 2 days started off great...day 3, well not so much. We attended a fundraiser for the local homeless shelter and the room with the food was way to crowded so we left starving and decided to go out to the dinner. Oh well, there's my 20.

Here's a few recipe samples from when I started

Yogurt Parfait
1 cup strawberry yogurt
Handful of blue and raspberries
A lil drizzle of agave or honey
Sliced Almonds and a tbsp of granola

Snacks (pre workout - 2 hours before)
Rice cake with peanut butter, bananas and honey

Lunch
Whole wheat wrap
Hummus
Feta Cheese
Sliced Grilled Chicken
Spinach
Tomatoes

Blueberry Blast Smoothie (post workout)
1 cup skim milk
1/2 container plain or pineapple coconut yogurt
frozen blueberries, handful
frozen or fresh pineapple about 7 or 8 chunks

Blend - Enjoy.

Dinner - Salmon Salad with String Beans and Brown Rice with Roasted Mushrooms
Roast Salmon in the Oven on High with a lil Olive Oil, salt, pepper, sliced lemons and rosemary
(this can be pre-done and left to get cold)
Blanche String beans for 3 minutes, douse in ice bath to stop cooking process
Arrange on a plate on top of organic greens
throw together olive oil, lemon, S&P and whisk in some mustard for a dressing
For the rice I bought 2 containers of minute brown rice, nuked them in the micro
In with the salmon I had roasted some mushrooms with a lil OO and S&P and then topped the rice with the mushrooms, some basil, lil parm and some pine nuts.
The salmon and mushrooms I did before spin for 20 minutes and the rest I finished in 20 minutes after I got home.



No comments:

Post a Comment