Monday, July 9, 2012

Triathlon Take I: Sherwood Island Triathlon


Mom and I post race
I came back to beat this girl at the end. More pictures below of the swim and bike.
The first race. 
The first race of the season, when nerves take off and you wonder if you've practiced swimming enough and wonder if you'll drown.  I did not but I was definitely nervous.  I stayed at my mom's house as the race was 45 minutes away on Sherwood Island in Westport. It's a gorgeous location and a great race so I would recommend it.  This was my second time doing this race and the previous year I'd seen an ex there so I was nervous, nervous I might see him again and also ready to rock. Here's my recap.

Pre Race
Had an early dinner and went to bed early.  Was up several times in anticipation.  The alarm sounded way to early at 4:40 am since the race started at 6:30.  I would recommend day before packet pick up to get some more sleep time, this is what I did but it's still early.  Otherwise I would've been up at 4:15. Ugh.

I ate a bagel and some PB and hunkered down for a little sleep in the car.

Here's where things started to go awry.  I got the bike out and checked to make sure my bike computer for mileage, etc. was working. No dice.  Evidently upon further review, it's finicky but it had somehow run out of batteries or decided to pick that day to stop working.  The lovely Hoboken bike store Flo on Wheels fixed in for free later.  So that was out.  I was frustrated and kept trying to get it to work. I couldn't find my number because some girl had put her towel on top of it, she was in the next rack but evidently needed a ton of space, so I was down to zippo time.  I quickly warmed up and went to suit up in my wetsuit - the zipper busted in my hand. HORROR. It was pretty chilly out and the water looked grey.  We tried fixing it, I debated quitting and finally decided to proceed.  I was one of two people not in a wetsuit.  I got in and the water was pretty warm until we had to wait five minutes to actually head out.  Then I realized my heart monitor was not working.  GRRR.  The woman next to me asked if I always swam with out a wet suit and I quickly explained the story.  "You'll probably PR," she replied.  I hoped.

Swim
It was cold but I was cutting through the water to get back to the shore.  The way out took forever fighting waves, the straightaway was great and back to shore was pretty smooth sailing.  I emerged in around 14/15 minutes and ran across the beach to the tranisition. My mom was pretty impressed

T1
I was pretty impressed I ran all the way to transition and threw on my bike shoes.  Then grabbed the bike, helmet and one of the clasps from the helmet came off in my hand.  I was in shock.  I had checked it on Thursday.  I quickly tied it on and threw on my helmet. I took off thinking I was done.

Bike
The bike is gorgeous.  Out of the park is a bit dull but once you're off the highway it's all nice back roads and nice rolling hills and long flats.  I was back in 48 minutes crushing last year's time.

T2
Feeling good off the bike I made about a 1 minute trans. NICE!

Run
I started the run feeling super slow. I was pissed at myself and kept pushing myself to catch up to whoever was near.  Well it worked. I clocked myself in at 10 minutes for mile 1.  Knowing only 2 miles were left I worked to keep my speed and not get down if I was passed.  I managed just about 10/11 minutes for Mile 2 which had a few hills and tried to push for the last one.  Right around 600 yards left I got passed.  I was bummed and with a quarter mile left we entered the beach.  I suddenly realized I had nothing left to lose and ran with everything I had to pass the woman who passed me.  Her husband was running with her down the beach but I took off past both of them towards my dad who was screaming at the tight right turn that left about 5 yards to the finish.  Realizing I was so close she picked it up and I had to fight to keep ahead.  I beat her by 5 seconds.  When I turned and said good run - she was definitely pissed. Oh well. Can't win them all!

Post Race
Post race stretch available on site, bagel and celebration at mom's!

Next race - June 24, 2012 - Litchfield Hills Triathlon. 
You can see I am only one without a wetsuit.

Me on the bike towards the finish.

Post race stretch.

Heading Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment