Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Tough Tuesday Workout #6: Run-spired! 8.21.12

I had no inspiration and no motivation for creating a workout for this morning.  I had no motivation at all over the weekend. I was VERY tired on Friday and had done a couple 2-a-days so I decided the ol' body hadn't gotten enough rest post Niantic Bay triathlon (hadn't taken enough time off before it either) and we needed to slow things down.  Fortunately, Saturday morning I woke up to a rainy morning and decided to sleep in, which was great after I had stayed up late making Barefoot Contessa Cupcakes.
They turned out to be delicious - though how do you go wrong with a chocolate dessert?

Anyway, Saturday I did get in a bit of activity - as I went stand up paddle boarding for the first time.  It was great! It felt a little weird on my feet at first but after awhile I able to pick it up.  I fell twice when we made our way out to the bay and the boats came by but I got back up and managed to paddle around the canals. I would highly recommend it.  I can see why Giada's husband Todd does it.

That's me up on the paddle board. This was after we'd returned them we decided to run back out and take some pictures.

So, Sunday I was supposed to bike/run.  I got home very late and completely crashed the next day. When your body says no- no.  So I caught up on my favorite TV shows.  So Monday I needed to get out.  Billy and I decided to go running after work and met up at 7 for a 3.5 mile run  -  we ended up doing almost 4 miles and felt pretty good when it was over.  While we were running we passed Hoboken's Monday night exercise in the park and say the kickboxing out and about.  Billy made a comment it looked like boot camp and did I do any of those exercises.  I said yes but not in awhile - BINGO!  Class ideas.


Tough Tuesday Workout #6
(set up - same as always step/weights/mat - adds medicine ball/big ball)
I try to remember these workouts to the best of my ability and will try to give helpful hints if you are on your own or don't have the Starships song to go along with.

Warm-Up - Same Warm Up Weekly - (walk/run on treadmill) or Run in place, jacks, jump rope, and hot feet for 3-4 minutes.  Stretches for the calfs/quads, hip flexors, and open up the shoulders.  Work the back a bit and shake it loose.

Round 1
Inspired by the kickboxing and new medicine balls in the closet (yay!) I did side squats across the room for 2 minutes - we were working out to Nicki Minaj Starships* and on the chorusI had them run in place with the ball overhead.
Push ups with ball under left hand
Lunges and tap ball on the floor for 1 minutes - run on the chorus.
Push ups with ball under right hand.
*If you don't have Nicki you can do side to side lunges with the taps for 1 minute, run in place 30 seconds repeat and then pushups. Repeat for right side.

Round 2 - heavy weights (lunges/legs, shoulders, biceps)
20 reverse lunges right
10 curl press
20 reverse lunges left
10 curl press
5 each side - lunge knee up
10 curl press
10 alternating lunges
10 squats

Round 3 - med. ball and light weight
Run with ball - high knees
10  jumps onto the step - powering up from a squat
15 squat and single arm raise with light weight (resembles using a kettle bell)
Repeat 2x

Round 4 - Heavy Weights (back, legs, chest)
20 Regular Squats
15 rows each side
20 Sissy Squats (roll up your mat tiny and put it under your heels - squat down)
15 rows each side
20 Sissy Squats
10 elevated push-ups (feet on step hands on floor)
10 each leg - single leg squat - on one leg squat curl weight up and press overhead. Core is TIGHT.
10 more elevated push-ups
Grab your big ball and head to the wall
10 squats at the wall - hold and pulse - 10 more squats (you could use weights here I forgot today).

Round 5 - Last time to get your heart rate up
10 count High Knees
10 count Butt Kicks
10 count squat jumps
10 count Mat Jump Over - Roll that Mat up tight and seem side down - jump over side to side.

Round 6 - Abs (little bit of hammies)
Unroll your mat and grab the big ball
Lay over the ball with ball under shins, curl legs in, 10 reps 2x
For a challenge - try an extra 5 in a pike position or do 5 more curls.
on your back put feet on ball and curls up 50x
Side Plank with Ball to left and right
lay on stomach and curl ball in and out 10x then 10x with weight (works the hamstrings)
release weight and push into plank - hold 30 seconds.

Done! I ran over slightly - it was just about 52 minutes here instead of the 48 I typically end at. 
Cool down and stretch.  - Lots of stretches.

No comments:

Post a Comment