Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Tough Tuesday Workout #10: Rockin' & Runnin' & Lazy Lasagna

Over the weekend my boyfriend and I ran the O'Connell's 5k Run in Union City.  It was his first 5k since 2009 so he wasn't sure how it would go and neither would I since I didn't feel as if I'd gotten any rest since the triathlon last weekend. All in all not a bad day.

The race was right near us so we literally ran up to the light rail, took the elevator, and walked a few blocks to the start.  We jogged to the light rail to warm up.  While I enjoy running, I am a terrible runner who has knowledge of my pace, form, etc.  We wanted to use this race to go at a 10 min mile pace consistently - which we did finishing just over 31 minutes.  It felt good and the weather was great. I am glad triathlon season is over because it means no more traveling, no more getting up at 5 a.m. and no more remembering gear and IDs. It was nice to have a race start at 9:30.

On Sunday we ran a recovery run and last night (Monday) we went to the track for our first "track" workout.  We ran a warm up 1 mile and then did 6 x 400 repeats at roughly a 2:15 pace.  We walked about 30 seconds - 1 minute after each repeat and ran down only a lap and half (mostly because I was trying to get home to catch the end of Bones and beginning of Major Crimes).

After the sprint workout we did a few pushups and tricep dips, well one set since that's all my running partner could handle. However after sitting for awhile watching Bones I was the one who was in pain trying to walk down the hall to the showers.

For dinner I had made the "lazy girl's lasagna" a few nights ago and we finished it up last night. Basically it's baked penne, when I am too tired to go out and buy lasagna noodles. I make lasagna filling and layer sauce, noodles, filling and in here instead of meet I added a layer of finely chopped zucchini since I have zucchini in droves from my farm market adventures. After the race Sat, we'd walked down the farm market and I bought out the zucchini.



For Tough Tuesday I was out of ideas so I checked out Bodyrock and was inspired by their lastest workout to make up one of my own.

Warm Up - same as always: Jog, Jump Rope Jacks, light lunges and squats and stretch. 

Round 1: (10 seconds rest after each)
15 pushups with feet on step or hands on step (hands on step and elevation of upper body makes this exercise a little easier)
30 seconds: 5 high knees and half burpee (no pushup)
15 squats with heavy weights
30 seconds: high knees
10 curl press
30 seconds: Jack
Lunges R & L 25 each no weights
30 seconds Jack
10 spiderman pushups
30 seconds - side to side jump
10 each side one legged row
30 seconds mt climbers
15 plie squat with weight front raise


Round 2: Abs (in the middle)
20 crunches center
10 crunches right (left shoulder right knee)
10 crunches extend right leg out to side in quarter of an "X" and bring R knee to L elbow
Repeat those 10 & 10 on opposite side
Flip over onto forearms into forearm plank
Lift R leg as high as you can, holding leg up move to right, back to center lower, repeat on left. 10 x total.
Come onto knees, lean onto right hand on side, extend top leg, lift and lower for 10x, push hips up or come to side plank (hold 15 seconds). Switch sides and repeat
On step or floor, sit back on sit bones and extend legs in and out, trying not to lean into your hands and wrists. 15 x
Using a step, chair or bench, squat down and press up (no weights) lifting up your knee 15x each side
Bicycles 20x 
Standing up hold weight in one hand, bend at waist, 15x each side
Move one raiser away from bench so you have an incline, lay with head at higher part and lift up hips for 10
Turn and face the other way so butt is at high part lay back 10 crunches and 4 roll ups (at your pace!)

Round 3:
Repeat Round 1 due to time I cut back the 30 seconds to 20 seconds and cut back the 15 reps so everything was 10 reps and we did one more set of crunches & bicycles at the end (15 each) and it was about 52 minutes and 55-60 with stretching at the end.

Cool down - Stretch. 

Make sure you check with a doctor before starting any kind of workout and work at your own pace. Great Job and Keep on Tri'n!

I made sure to tell the classes about a great event going on in Hoboken - the Get in the Spirit 5K Launch Party!  On Wed, October 3, 2012 at the Hoboken Melting Pot from 6:30 to 9:30.



No comments:

Post a Comment