Thursday, June 7, 2012

National Running Day: June 6th Slow & Steady Wins the Race

Yesterday was National Running Day.  Did you go out running?  You couldn't miss the commotion from NYRR and the Hartford Marathon Foundation expressing their excitement on Facebook and Twitter. 

This week I had originally wanted to get in a little more swimming practice and take care of my legs but I couldn't ignore such a great holiday and ended up going for a nice, slow run on Wednesday. I have a race coming up this weekend and my legs had biked quite a few miles over the weekend. I had taken Monday off following a 50 mile bike ride on Sunday and on Tuesday I had done some sprint work and had run 3.5 miles after a doing circuits, which were pretty intense because we had 2 guys show up so the women wanted to official kick their ass.  We did 3 sets of 5 cardio exercises with 50 seconds on and 10 off - power squats were always #5. The other 4 alternated - spider pushups, burpees, one leg squats, wood choppers, jump lunges, etc.  I had a bit more time Tuesday for a run because I was up early and I wanted to take advantage of the great weather.  I did do a swim for about 20 minutes on Wednesday; however I am getting nervous that I should be swimming more with the races quickly approaching.  Eek! 

I ended up in a different area of the city for work yesterday, Wednesday, down in Chelsea, and was in close proximity to Paragon Sporting Goods and I since still had a $10 gift card from my previous purchase of a new triathlon suit, I decided to swing by.  I have been looking for a good running outfit now that will be comfy and eliminate chafing while still looking cute and decided to try a running skirt.  A few friends swear by them and I figured it couldn't hurt. Turns out, in honor of National Running Day, they were having a SALE!! Of course rather than by the one skirt I ended up buying a cute black skirt.  Pink tank top that was on sale for the holiday, two new sports bras from Nike, and a pair of odd shorts from Nike that have bike shorts built in.  I tried on the skirt his morning and it looks nice but I am wondering what it will be liking running.  Now I am breaking every cardinal rule in the book of running by debating wearing it this weekend for the Women's mini 10K so I am determined to test it out tonight or tomorrow evening so as not to have any problems. 

Last night my friends and I went to Eataly, the Mario Batali restaurant so an extra run wouldn't hurt anyone.  The place was fantastic and while my friends were too stuffed for gelato I thought that was a crime against man and had some ice cream.  I am back on the diet wagon again, putting my calories and food into myfitnesspal and following my training plan. I plan to do a quick update now on races and will post how the 10K went next week. 

Happy National Running Day and Keep on Tri'N. 

No comments:

Post a Comment