Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Super Strawberry Smoothie & Salad

It's a Strawberry Kind of Day



Smoothies - Wheat Germ, Flax Seed, and Strawberries
When we were in the local A&P last week, my partner decided to get some wheat germ.  I am not sure he knew what he was going to do with it but he figured it looked healthy so why not?

While researching what to do with wheat germ, I found a recipe for a blueberry peach and wheat germ smoothie.  Since then I have taken to adding wheat germ to my smoothies alternated with flax seeds.  I find the flax seeds are better when I prep a smoothie the night before and they can sit in the yogurt and almond milk until the morning, but the wheat germ is great on the go!  I have a the Oster shake blender so I can prep everything in the container slap on a lid, wrap in tinfoil and drink a smoothie at work.  The tinfoil is just in case it leaks, it doesn't destroy my shoes or workout gear. Wheat germ just needs to be shaked up once I get to work.

This allows me to have a filling breakfast after teaching in the morning without a lot of work and it is something I can drink in meetings and on the go.  People often think I have coffee, turns out it's goop.

This morning I used some 1 tbsp wheat germ with:
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1 big spoonful plain yogurt (exact measurements are not happening after the gym and before work)
  • 5 or 6 big strawberries, mine were frozen.
  • 1 banana
  • 6 or 7 chunks of pineapple - it looked delicious in the store so I bought it

Salads - Strawberry Avocado
Salads are my go to for a busy day. I often will bring leftover chicken or tuna in a pouch and have that in addition to a salad bought at the Fresh & Co.  But today I made my own salad in a leftover sushi container with a recipe from Facebook! It included:

  • Big Bunch of Spinach Leaves
  • 6 strawberries cut up
  • 1 avocado cubed
  • handful of sliced almonds
  • 1 tbsp feta
  • 1 piece of cut up chicken
  • balsamic dressing 

*photos from the internet

No comments:

Post a Comment