Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Chia Seed Pudding (or the goop I've been eating for breakfast that doesn't taste terrible)

So, soon after getting engaged, booking our wedding and booking a trip to Costa Rica for the winter, I realized I was going to have to watch what I was eating, meaning I could no longer watch as the Ben & Jerry's Fro Yo went from full to empty, I had to have some control. I am of the opinion that crash diets don't work and only result in me suddenly giving in to temptation and going on week long pizza and ice cream benders, which is what happened in December so new year, new college try.  With Costa Rica that much closer, I am definitely motivated.  The last thing I'd like is to weigh down a surfboard so it sinks.

So, we set up the juicer that had been in the box for a month, bought veggies, pre-made brown rice and quinoa (a food I couldn't pronounce 5 years ago), and bought some proteins.  I went back to making healthy lunches.  Then when the Food Network magazine showed up with Giada's stay healthy tips, it seemed fate. I tried most of the recipes she had in the magazine including the crispy chick peas and a green juice and for breakfast, this chia seed pudding. I had bought chia seeds awhile back and had no idea what to do with them, but I was willing to give them a fair shot. 

I made a a few adjustments to her recipe, but it worked out. I had enough for 3 servings. Her recipe is here. I made mine like this:

1 cup of almond milk
1 cup of plain yogurt
1 tbsp of honey/maple syrup (I didn't have enough maple syrup so I used honey)
1 tsp of vanilla extract
2 tbsp of chia seeds

Mix and I poured into a big container and each day took about a 1/2 a cup with chopped berries (strawberries and blueberries) and granola to work.  The granola was recipe of Giada's as well with oats, sliced almonds, coconut and cranberries. Surprisingly it was delicious. I've eaten it now for 3 days.

The last of my chia seed pudding, which looks a little like goop.

No comments:

Post a Comment